In case you missed it:
That’s right, id Software and Bethesda finally revealed gameplay at E3 2015 for the highly anticipated and delayed, DOOM 4 err, DOOM.
Anyway, it looks great. That’s coming from a longtime Doom fanboy (since DOS). I also frequently play mods like Brutal Doom in Zandronum, something I can assume the designers of the new Doom did too. That’s a good thing by the way. So let’s start with what I like:
- The gore
- The amount of enemies
- The violence
- The visuals
- The general look and feel
Then there are things I’m less sure of. Let’s call this list, Things Not to Screw Up In Doom…
- Make the shotgun awesome. (It should feel powerful, and be the cornerstone of your combat.)
- Fatalities are cool, but need to have some variety. Especially the chainsaw kills, while very fun looking, seemed repetitive when done rapidly. Offer at least 2 different kill animations for that so it doesn’t seem cheap.
- It’s hard to tell from the video, but I hope the stages have secrets. Secret doors, hidden items, and more. This is a classic id Software thing that needs to be there. Kinda like the secret door in Wolfenstein 3d, with a secret in a secret that leads to a secret stage. That’s cool.
- Couldn’t really hear the music, but I hope its cool and not TOO ambient.
That’s about all I can think of. The rest of it looks pretty solid and I am truly looking forward to the new Doom.